Prep 20 mins
Cook 72 hrs
This is another healthy loaf of bread, also very good. The recipe comes from Breadman.
- 1⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄8 cup cornmeal
- 1 1⁄8 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1⁄4 cup dry milk
- 2 tablespoons gluten
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry yeast
- Add oatmeal and cornmeal to heat-proof bowl.
- Pour in boiling water, stirring to prevent lumps.
- Let mixture cool for 10 minutes.
- Stir, pour it into the breadpan, and add the rest of the ingredients in the order given.
- Makes 1 1/2 pound loaf, using the basic setting.
This is the best bread that I've made in my machine so far. Perfect for sandwiches. Thanks, Barb!
This is delicious bread and couldn't have been easier to make. I didn't have gluten so my loaf came out a bit dense, but I'm still giving it 5 stars because of the taste (and I don't mind the density). Next time I make it, I'll use gluten and I'm sure it will be even better. I only used the bread machine for mixing the dough. I formed it by hand, did the final rise and baked it the conventional way. Yum! Just had a nice thick slice with butter and jam.
Baked this yesterday afternoon, had it for breakfast this morning. A very good tasting bread, and easy to make. My loaf fell in the center, but I blame that on baking at altitude and the fact that I'm adjusting to a new bread machine I just got for Xmas. But this bread is definitely on my list of keepers!