Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a lovely rich almond pound cake. Perfect for brunch with coffee or tea. You can also try it with Strawberry Topping. It's great with or without it.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄4 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- confectioners' sugar, to sprinkle on top
- 7 ounces almond paste
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, blend together butter and sugar and almond paste.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in the extracts and beat until smooth.
- Sift together dry ingredients.
- Add to the butter mixture, alternating with the buttermilk.
- Spray sides and bottom of two loaf pan.
- Scoop batter into the pan.
- Bake 45 minutes to 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan 10 minutes then remove from pan and cool on a rack.
- Cut into slices and add fruit toppings and dust with powdered sugar if desired.