Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't often deep fry food at home, but these are so worth it! These are a staple at fairs and theme parks across America. You could use an 8oz box of jiffy corn muffin mix instead of the first 6 ingredients but you probably won't find this outside of the US. A great crowd pleaser at bbq's or children's parties, hot dogs never tasted so good. . . .
- 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour (plus extra for dredging)
- 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal (polenta)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon american mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (can use 1 tbsp very finely minced fresh onion)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional) or 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 8 large hot dog sausages
- 8 large wooden kebab skewers
- vegetable oil, for frying
- First of all make the batter mix using all of the ingredients listed apart from the hot dogs, skewers, vegetable oil and extra flour for dredging. Its best to mix all of the dry ingredients thoroughly in a bowl first, mix the wet ingredients separately and then add to the dry ingredients mixing well. Pour the batter into a large jug.
- Now put the extra flour with some salt and pepper onto a large plate and dredge the hot dog sausages through this, shaking off any excess. This helps the batter stick to the hot dogs.
- Heat the oil in a large wide pan to a constant 350°F If you don't have a thermometer, a cube of bread should brown in no less than 2 minutes and no more than 4 minutes at this temperature (before you do this you might want to check that your hot dogs and skewers will fit).
- Insert the skewers just over half way up the dogs, dip into the jug of batter, allowing most of the excess to drain off and fry lengthways, 2 at a time, for about 4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on kitchen towels and serve on the skewer with American mustard and tomato ketchup.
- These are really special, allow for more than 1 each, I figure if you're taking the time to make these, you may as well make a feast of it.