Pronto Pups aka Corn Dogs
photo by Pismo
- Ready In:
24 Pronto Pups
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, egg and sugar.
- Add milk until batter has a pancake type consistency (Too much milk, and batter wont stay on hot dogs, too little and your batter when fried will be cracked).
- Dry off hot dogs with paper towels, coat with flour, and skewer through the center of the corndog.
- Heat 2" deep oil to 370 degrees F.
- Dip skewered hot dogs into batter mix and coat evenly.
- Fry until golden brown about 2 1/2 minutes.
- Let cool and drain on a paper towel.
- With left over batter drop like dumplings into the oil until golden brown and drain.
- Serve with ketchup, mustard tarter sauce or a dressing of your choosing.
These were so yummy !!! I had used Hebrew National weiners and they were delicious. So easy to whip together. This was the first time making corn dogs too. I had put the batter in a tall glass and then dipped the weiners in the batter that way. I will be making these over and over again. The batter fluffed right out so nicely when in the fryer. They freeze so well too with reheating in the micro they taste just like they came out of the fryer. Thanks for sharing your recipe Fair weather cook we really enjoyed them.
I have never eaten a corndog in my life, and this was my first time. I thought it was really unique....sweet, crispy on the outside, and of course salty on the inside. The baking powder made the batter very fluffy after frying which was great. I need 1 1/2 cup (approx)of milk to make it the right consistency. Yummy...the spicy sausages def. tasted better than the normal ones.
Wow! I have been looking for a good corndog batter for a while. This one is really good. I used about 1 1/3 cup of milk. It needs to be a little thicker than pancake batter to stick properly. This is also great batter for cheese on a stick. Just cut cheese to 1/2"x3", and proceed with corndog directions. I like it with pepperjack cheese. My kids like it with velveeta. You can use any kind you like. Yummy! Thanks for the recipe.
see 125 more reviews