- Ready In:
- 1 cup flour
- 2⁄3 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 8 -10 frankfurters
- wooden skewer
- cooking oil
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and dry mustard in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Mix egg and milk.
- Add to dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Dry frankfurters well with paper towels (this allows the coating to stick better).
- Insert skewers into the end of the frankfurters.
- Pour oil into a skillet to a depth of 1 inch.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Coat franks with batter.
- (if batter is too thick, thin with a little milk).
- Arrange coated franks 3 at a time in hot oil.
- Turn franks with tongs after 10 seconds to prevent the batter from sliding off.
- Cook for 3 minutes, turning again 1/2 way through cooking time.
- Serve hot with catsup and mustard.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation