Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
From Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger
- 4 large onions (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil (for sautÃ©ing)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- 3 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (with juice)
- 2 1⁄2 cups white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 8 tablespoons brown mustard (Dijon-style)
- Saute onion in oil until soft and golden.
- Add everything else. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 4 hours on the lowest possible heat.
- Puree sauce in batches when cool.
- Will keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks, or you may freeze for later use.