1/3 Photos of African Spinach and Peanut Butter Stew
Karen Elizabeth's Note:
Found online at www.fooddownunder.com, while looking for economical 'African' recipes. Tasty and nutritious, a vegetarian main dish or a good side dish. You could easily add garlic, cooking it with the onions, add some mushrooms, adding with the tomatoes, and I think some chilli, fresh, powdered or flaked, would also add a bit of spice to this very versatile dish!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Slice the onions and fry in oil until soft.
- 2Peel the tomatoes in boiling water (or use tinned tomatoes). Slice and add to the onions.
- 3Wash, trim and chop the spinach coarsely.
- 4Add to the stew and cook, covered, over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- 5Thin the peanut butter with hot water to make a smooth paste.
- 6Add to the stew.
- 7Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes, stirring and adding water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- 8Serve over steamed rice, polenta, or mashed potatoes, in fact, you could eat it with anything, really!
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for African Spinach and Peanut Butter Stew
Serving Size: 1 (259 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 184.7
- Calories from Fat 82
- Total Fat 9.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 259.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 11.9 g