Found online at www.fooddownunder.com, while looking for economical 'African' recipes. Tasty and nutritious, a vegetarian main dish or a good side dish. You could easily add garlic, cooking it with the onions, add some mushrooms, adding with the tomatoes, and I think some chilli, fresh, powdered or flaked, would also add a bit of spice to this very versatile dish!
- Slice the onions and fry in oil until soft.
- Peel the tomatoes in boiling water (or use tinned tomatoes). Slice and add to the onions.
- Wash, trim and chop the spinach coarsely.
- Add to the stew and cook, covered, over a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring to prevent sticking.
- Thin the peanut butter with hot water to make a smooth paste.
- Add to the stew.
- Season with salt and pepper and cook for another 5 - 10 minutes, stirring and adding water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Serve over steamed rice, polenta, or mashed potatoes, in fact, you could eat it with anything, really!