Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This recipe comes from a cookbook made by the women of my synagogue in the early 1970's. This is one of the best dishes - perfect for a winter meal over rice or mashed potatoes.
- 5 lbs beef short ribs
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups sliced onions
- 3⁄4 cup catsup
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- Cut ribs into 2 inch lengths.
- Mix flour, salt, pepper and roll ribs until coated. Place in a large roasting pan with a lid.
- Arrange in a large casserole and cover with sliced onions.
- Mix together the catsup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, soy sauce, sugar and water. Pour over ribs.
- Cover and bake in a slow oven, 300 degrees, for 3 hours.
These wre very good but I think the next time I make these I will cut back on the sugar. Just a tad too sweet for me and increase the vinegar a smidge. Otherwise made as instructed and you cannot get any easier than this!!
Wow my apartment smells *amazing*! Yummmm! I could only get my hands on 4 pounds of ribs but that is plenty for me for a few meals! I left everything else basically the same (used about half the salt and used red onion). These ribs are very succulent and tender - I had a difficult time waiting for them to cool off enough to dig in, after smelling the amazing smells coming from my kitchen the last few hours! Thanks very much for sharing!
awesome-i cooked this a little longer than 3 hours - we loved it-i served this with rice-great recipe!! Thanks so much-a keeper!