Prep 1 hr
Cook 11 hrs
America's Test Kitchen
Make and share this 15-Bean Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1⁄4 cups fifteen-bean soup mix (flavoring packet discarded, picked over, pre-soaked overnight, drained)
- 4 ounces bacon (about 4 slices)
- 1⁄2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces swiss chard, stemmed and leaves sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped medium
- Microwave onion, garlic, oil, and thyme in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- Stir broth, white mushrooms, soaked beans, bacon, porcini mushrooms, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until beans are tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- Discard bacon and bay leaves.
- Stir in chard and tomatoes, cover, and cook on HIGH until chard is tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.