America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh thyme (or 1/2 t. dried)
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1/4 cups fifteen-bean soup mix (flavoring packet discarded, picked over, pre-soaked overnight, drained)
- 4 ounces bacon (about 4 slices)
- 1/2 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed and minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 ounces swiss chard, stemmed and leaves sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained and chopped medium
- 1Microwave onion, garlic, oil, and thyme in bowl, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes; transfer to slow cooker.
- 2Stir broth, white mushrooms, soaked beans, bacon, porcini mushrooms, and bay leaves into slow cooker.
- 3Cover and cook until beans are tender, 9-11 hours on LOW or 5-7 hours on HIGH.
- 4Let soup settle for 5 minutes, then remove fat from surface using large spoon.
- 5Discard bacon and bay leaves.
- 6Stir in chard and tomatoes, cover, and cook on HIGH until chard is tender, 20-30 minutes.
- 7Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for 15-Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (340 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 147.8
- Calories from Fat 85
- Total Fat 9.5 g
- Saturated Fat 2.7 g
- Cholesterol 9.6 mg
- Sodium 239.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 8.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: