photo by Chef Joey Z.
- Ready In:
For the Vegetables
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 red pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup thinly sliced cabbage or 1 cup fennel
- 6 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 1⁄2 cups gruyere, mozzarella or 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 8 ounces frozen puff pastry, defrosted
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
For The Spicy Pesto Vinaigrette
- 1⁄2 cup pesto sauce
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat olive oil in skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add peppers and sauté for 2 minutes. Add garlic, onion, zucchini, cabbage and mushrooms. Sauté until crisp tender, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and drain off any liquid. Stir in parsley and cheese.
- Season with salt and pepper and cool.
- Roll out pastry to a 10 x 14-inch rectangle. Pile vegetables along upper third of pastry lengthwise, leaving a 1 inch wide border on short sides.
- Brush all sides with beaten egg. Fold short ends up over filling, then roll into cylinder, cutting off pastry excess. Place seam-side down on cookie sheet and prick top. Brush with egg.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Whisk together pesto, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut strudel in slices and drizzle some sauce over the top.
- Bon Appetit!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> I was born in northern Ontario in Canada. I am of Irish /Spanish/French Canadian descent. In 2002, myself, my hubby Stu, and our dog Ginger moved to the high desert of New Mexico. I am a Domestic Engineer and a Professional Artist. I enjoy oldies, classical and jazz music. My hubby is a Professional Jazz and Classical Musician. He plays with the Albuquerque Philharmonic Orchestra which is wonderful because I get to see all his concerts and they are free! We are trying our best to live a Green and Sustainable lifestyle which is no easy feat in a desert. I love any cookbook that promotes good health and tasty meals. I enjoy pasta dishes and sweet vegan deserts. I have found that I am very successful in converting conventional recipes to vegan. This has allowed me to enjoy all types of foods that I other wise could not. Some day we would like to relocate to upstate New York and be closer to my family in Canada and my husbands in New York. My DH retires in 9 years, so nothing will stop us from heading home then :-)