Vegetable Brown Rice
photo by TXOLDHAM
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut into thin 1 inch strips
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 9 green onions, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecan halves, toasted
- In a medium size saucepan, bring the water to a boil.
- Add the rice and basil stirring well.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until rice is tender and the water has been absorbed.
- In a large non-stick skillet, stir-fry the carrots, onion, and green onions in hot oil for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are lightly browned.
- Add peas and salt; cook for 1 minute or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in pecans, raisins and rice; heat through.
- Please note: If serving as a main dish the serving size yield will be less.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I came to this site in March of 2004. It was then called Recipezaar. This site was the first on-line site that I ever joined. I first popped in 2003 while searching for a Peach Cobbler Recipe. In March of 2004, DH was having shoulder surgery and I was looking for a Split Pea Soup. Once again I found myself on Zaar as it came to be called. Over the years I hung out and learned from some of the best home cooks in the country, I posted over 700 recipes on the site, reviewed over 3500 recipes and posted over 3000 food photos. Over the next 10 years the site made many changes and in 2010 it was sold to to Food Network and became Food.com. Until last year we played games, talked and shared with one another. As a result of the community and the relationships I built I got to meet some wonderful people from all over the country. I also have a great number of friends that I have never meet face to face. Some of us still hang out at various places across the net. Zaar was more than a cooking community. It was an internet community of friendship. Life is an adventure ever changing.