Universal Muffins Mix
This is a recipe for muffin base mix. I learned to make it when employed as a baker in a neighborhood shop. Cranberry orange is my favorite.
- Ready In:
- 18 cups flour
- 5 cups sugar (or equivalent substitute)
- 2 1⁄4 cups dry buttermilk or 2 1/4 cups nonfat dry milk powder
- 6 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 3 tablespoons ground cinnamon (I reduce cinnamon to 2 Tbsp.)
- 3 teaspoons ground nutmeg (I reduce nutmeg to 2 tsp.)
- Combine ingredients and break up any lumps.
Store in a large airtight container labeled with the date and contents. Store in a cool, dry place. Shelf life: 6 to 8 months. Makes enough for about 5 batches of 24 muffins each.To make 24 regular-sized muffins:
- Preheat oven to 400°. Coat muffin tins with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, beat:
- 3 to 4 eggs.
- 3 teaspoons vanilla.
- 2 cups water.
- UP TO 1 cup oil or butter.
- Stir in 5-1/2 cups muffin mix and any additional ingredients (listed below) just until moistened. The batter should be lumpy.
- Fill muffin tins full. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown.
- Applesauce muffins: 1 cup applesauce omit oil.
- Apple muffins: 3 cups raw grated apple 1 teaspoons gr. cloves 1 cup nuts or raisins, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar mixture before baking.
- Apricot muffins: 1 cup chopped dried apricots.
- Banana muffins: 2 mashed bananas 1 cup walnuts (optional).
- Blueberry muffins: 2 cups fresh or frozen rinsed blueberries.
- Bran-molasses muffins: Use only 3 cups of muffin mix. Stir in: 4 cups bran cereal 1/2 cup molasses 1 cup raisins.
- Butterscotch muffins: 2 (12 oz.) bags butterscotch chips 1 cup chopped nuts.
- Carrot muffins: 2 cups grated carrots 1 cup raisins 1-1/2 teaspoons allspice.
- Cashew muffins: 2 cups unsalted coarsely chopped cashews.
- Cherry muffins: 2 cups fresh or dried pitted cherries.
- Chocolate chip-fudge muffins: 1-1/2 cups cocoa 1/2 cup sugar 3 cups mini chocolate chips.
- Coconut muffins: 3 cups toasted flaked coconut (reserve some to sprinkle on the top).
- Cranberry-orange muffins: 2 cups chopped fresh or frozen cranberries 1 cup nuts 1/2 cup orange juice 2 Tb. orange peel.
- Currant muffins: 1-1/2 cups currants 1 cup chopped nuts.
- Date nut muffins: 1 cup chopped dates 1 cup chopped nuts.
- Eggnog muffins: 4 teaspoons rum extract 2 cups eggnog (omit water from recipe) before baking, top with mixture of: 2 Tb. sugar 1 teaspoons nutmeg 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- Fig muffins: 2 cups dried chopped figs 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- Fruit muffins: 2 cups dried diced fruit.
- Garden fresh muffins: 1 cup grated carrots 1 cup grated zucchini 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves.
- Gingerbread muffins: 2 Tb. ground ginger 1/2 cup molasses 2 cups raisins.
- Granola muffins: reduce muffin mix to 4 cups and add: 1-1/2 cups granola. Top with additional granola before baking.
- Grape nuts muffins: reduce muffin mix to 4 cups and add: 2-1/2 cups grape nuts and 1 teaspoons allspice.
- Hazelnut muffins: 2 teaspoons ground cardamom 2 cups chopped hazelnuts.
- Incredible Cream Cheese muffins: combine: 2 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese 1/2 cup sugar 2 eggs. Drop this mix by Tb. onto top of muffins before baking.
- Jam muffins: 1-1/2 cups jam or preserves (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry, cherry) 1 cup chopped nuts (optional).
- Kisses and hugs muffins: 1-1/2 cups cocoa 1/2 cup sugar after filling muffin tins 3/4 full, drop one Hershey’s kiss into the center of each muffin, pushing down slightly until kiss is covered. Ice cooled muffins with confectioners sugar and water glaze.
- Lemon muffins: omit 1 cup water and replace with 1 cup lemon juice use 4 eggs, 1/2 cup chopped nuts.
- Lemon-poppy seed: 2 packages (3.4 oz each) instant lemon pudding mix 2 T poppy seeds, use 4 eggs, omit 1 cup water and replace with 1 cup lemon juice.
- Mandarin muffins: 2 (8-1.4 oz) cans crushed mandarin oranges (undrained) reduce water to 1 cup 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots.
- Maple muffins: 6 Tb. maple syrup, reduce water to 1-1/2 cups.
- Marmalade muffins: 1-1/2 cups orange marmalade, 1 cup chopped nuts (opt), 1 cup orange juice (omit 1 cup of the water).
- Mincemeat muffins: 1-1/2 cups mincemeat.
- Nutty muffins: 3 cups peanut butter chips 1/2 cup chopped peanuts.
- Oatmeal muffins: reduce muffin mix to 4 cups and add 1 cup oats; use 4 eggs and up to 2 cups raisins or grated apples.
- Orange muffins: 2 cups sour cream,1 cup nuts or coconut (opt), 2 cans (11 oz. each) mandarin oranges, drain; use 4 eggs.
- Peach muffins: 2 cups fresh or one large can (drained) chopped peaches.
- Pear muffins: 2 cups fresh or one large can (drained) chopped pears.
- Peanut-butter banana muffins: 1 cup peanut butter 1/2 cup chopped peanuts 3 mashed bananas.
- Peanut-butter & jelly muffins: 1 cup peanut butter, 1/2 cup chopped peanuts; drop 1 Tb. jam into each muffin before baking.
- Pecan muffins: 2 cups chopped toasted pecans, 1 teaspoons maple extract.
- Pineapple muffins: 1 teaspoons ground cloves, 1 large can crushed pineapple, drained 1 jar (7 oz. or about 1 cup) macadamia nuts, chopped.
- Pineapple carrot raisin muffins: 1 cup each: grated carrots, crushed pineapple, drained and raisins 1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional).
- Prune muffins: 1 to 2 cups chopped prunes 1/3 cup poppy seeds.
- Pumpkin muffins: 2 cups or 1 can solid pack pumpkin 1 Tb. pumpkin pie spice 1/2 cup each chopped nuts and raisins.
- Raspberry muffins: 2 cups fresh or frozen whole, unsweetened raspberries.
- Rum raisin muffins: 3 teaspoons rum extract or 3 tablespoons rum before baking, top with mix of: 2 teaspoons sugar 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1/2 teaspoons nutmeg.
- Sesame seed muffins: 1 cup toasted sesame seeds before baking, top with mix of: 1/2 cup nuts 4 Tb. brown sugar 4 Tb. sesame seeds 2 Tb. flour 1/2 teaspoons each cinnamon/nutmeg.
- Sour cream muffins: omit one cup of the water and add: 1 cup sour cream 2 cups nuts 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel (opt.).
- Strawberry muffins: 2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries, chopped.
- Sweet potato muffins: 1 Tb. allspice 4 Tb. dry orange peel 2 cans (10 oz each) sweet potatoes, mashed, well drained (about 2-1/2 cups).
- Tropical treat muffins: 1 cup dried mango or papaya, chopped 1 cup chopped banana chips or 2 fresh mashed, 1 cup macadamia nuts, chopped 1/2 cup coconut 1/2 cup sour cream 2 teaspoons lemon peel, grated.
- Vanilla muffins: 2 packages vanilla chips.
- Walnut muffins 1-1/2 cups chopped walnuts.
- Wheat germ muffins: 2-2/3 cup wheat germ use 4 eggs 1/2 cup extra water before baking, top muffins with mix of: 1/2 cup wheat germ 2 Tb. sugar.
- Yogurt muffins: reduce water to 1-1/2 cups and add: 2 cartons (8 oz each) yogurt -- plain or flavored.
- Zucchini muffins: 2 cups grated zucchini 2 Tb. cinnamon 1 cup chopped nuts (optional).
- Plum muffins: 2 cups fresh or canned plums; chopped.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I would rate this 10 if I could. I made the pumpkin and added chocolate chips. They are awesome! Now I am going to make 2 more kinds. Thank you! I think this will be my Christmas gift idea. One batch, recipes and a mixing bowl! Perfect! I am thrilled!<br/><br/>A few weeks later; We love the Lemon Poppyseed, Oatmeal Raisin, Pumpkin Chocolate Chip. Next in line is Jam filled, Orange, and many more! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I can not believe I forgot to rate this. First, Thank you so much for this recipe. We have a cabin on the Gulf Islands in BC and in the summer have lots of friends drop by, these were a live saver. I made a new muffin each morning and they loved them all. I have made several batches of these and shared them with friends and family. Thanks again