Super Vegan Healthy Nachos
My boyfriend loves all things Mexican flavoured, I think because of all the cheese, sour cream and meat (stop drooling, Steve!) Here's my attempt at making a healthy vegan supper which he will enjoy. Of course, cheese could also be added for non-vegans.
- Ready In:
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into wedges
- 1 (8 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 ounce) can black beans or (8 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 5 small button mushrooms, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder or 1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic clove
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1⁄2 avocado
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 tablespoon finely diced red onion
- 1 peeled and deseeded chopped tomato
- Blend the avocado, lime juice, onion and tomato by roughly mashing or pulsing in a food processor. Set aside.
- Spray the corn tortillas with oil and bake until crispy. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, simmer tomatoes, beans, vegetables and spices together for about 30-40 minutes, until reduced and thick.
- Arrange corn chips on plates, spoon over the vegie-bean mix, and top with a dollop of the guacamole. I often garnish this with chopped cilantro, or shredded scallions.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
Easy and filling! I used tortilla chips. Since I had 16 oz cans of tomatoes and black beans I used those in the yummy mix, to which I also added 1/2 tsp oregano and 1 tsp cinnamon. I put it in the microwave for a total of 8 minutes, stirring every 3 minutes. Since I have vegetarians in the house, I sprinkled shredded cheddar cheese and lime juice on top of the tortillas and baked those at 350 for 5 minutes. This recipe turned out tasting fresh and satisfying, not gooey. Thanks!
*Reviewed for PAC Fall '07* This was a great meal. I used kidney beans and some canned corn. I loved the bean mix-also think it would be a great topping for a hot baked potato. The guacamole was creamy and the lime juice made it a little tangy. The corn chips went super crunchy.I would have liked more corn chips. I really enjoyed this meal and didn't miss the cheese and sour cream. My husband really liked the bean mix and he usually doesn't go much on 'vege' meals. Photo also being posted.