photo by Izy Hossack
- Ready In:
Cashew sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup cashews
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 small red onion, finely chopped
- 1 lime, juice of
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 red chili, finely chopped
- 5 ounces tortilla chips
- 1⁄2 cup vegan shredded mozzarella style cheese
- 0.5 (14 ounce) can refried beans
- 1 avocado
- 1 jalapeno, finely sliced
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
Make the cashew cream:
- Place the cashews in a pot and cover with water. Bring to the boil over a medium heat on the stove and simmer for 15 minutes. Drain and add to the jug of a high speed blender. Blitz with ½ to 2/3 cup water until smooth and thick. Add the lemon juice, salt and garlic to the blender and blend again until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Make the salsa:
- Stir together all the salsa ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350oF.
- Tip the tortilla chips onto a baking sheet. Dot with spoonfuls of the refried beans and the salsa. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese and place in the oven. Bake until the cheese starts to melt – this will vary depending on the brand but should only take a few minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Halve, de-stone, peel and finely slice the avocado. Lay the slices of avocado onto the nachos, dollop on some spoonfuls of the cashew cream then sprinkle on the jalapeno and cilantro. Serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!