Strawberry-Cream Cheese Bars
I was looking for something to do with a strawberry cake mix that I had hanging around. I found these in a cookbook, Quick Fixes with Cake Mixes. As the into says "if you like cheescake or pastries with cheese filling, you'll really like these..."
- Ready In:
- 1 (18 ounce) strawberry cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with vegetable spray or non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, butter and 1 egg; mix well.
- Press the mixture into bottom prepared pan.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese with remaining eggs and sugar until mixture is smooth and well blended.
- Pour the mixture over cake mix batter and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until light brown on top.
- Cool, cut into bars and enjoy.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This recipe is a good balance of topping making it more cheesecake tasting. Many other recipes call for 4 cups of powder sugar in the topping and 2 eggs in the batter that seemed to brown really dark. This recipe is my favorite and a keeper! I made a batch of those strawberry shortcake crumbles (like the Good Humor Ice Cream Bars) and added on top half way through baking. WOW! I like to eat them frozen and I now get requests to make these over and over!!
I read some comments and reduced sugar quite a bit, because I like things less sweet than other people. Otherwise, I tried to keep it as written. I made a full batch, but decided to use 1/4 as much sugar, after combining the cake mix with butter and the cream cheese. I tasted the batter and then added what seemed like enough sugar and the eggs. I only had a 7x11 pan, but the batter was still pretty thinly spread. The bottoms of my bars got burned.