Southern "church" Rice
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- Boil thighs in 4 cups of water until cooked thoroughly -- usually 1/2 hour. (I usually salt and pepper water.).
- Drain thighs in strainer (with bowl underneath to reserve broth.).
- Chop onion in food chopper (Or dice if doing by hand). Set aside.
- Cut thighs (once cooled) in portion that will allow chopper to easily shred.
- Chop thighs in food chopper or dice if doing by hand.
- Add slice of butter to medium sized pan on high heat, add onions. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add shredded/diced chicken and pepper to cooked onions. Cook for an additional minute.
- Add rest of butter, can of broth, reserved broth from chicken thighs (after boiling time usually a total of 5 cups of water for full box - add more water if necessary), and rice.
- Stir until rice is broken up. (best to add more pepper, if desired, at this time).
- Bring rice to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low apply a tight lid and cook for 20 minutes until water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat, cool for 5 minutes, and then fluff with fork.
- Best served with chicken gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Red Lion, PA. I'm a part-time student at Penn State and work full-time as a Billing System Specialist (business named withheld). I'm so passionate about food and cooking!!! I'm originally from Charleston SC, and my southern roots are in every fiber of my being. I adore Paula Deen and her boys! My pet peeves are dirty kitchens!