Schnitz Pie - Dried Apple Pie
photo by HAILEY C.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb dried apple, slices (schnitz)
- 1 quart water
- 1 orange, juice and zest of
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 pie crusts (either storebought or your own recipe)
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Cook apples in water to a soft pulp.
- Add orange juice and rind, cinnamon, salt, and sugar; mix well together.
- Line a pie pan with pastry; fill with apple mixture and cover with top crust.
- Crimp edges attractively and cut several slits in crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake at 450F for ten minutes; reduce heat to 350F and continue baking for 30 more minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!