Sausage, Potato and Carrot One-Dish Supper
Easy weeknight supper. Found the recipe a hundred years ago when I was first married and have since lost the cookbook, so I go by my (increasingly unreliable) memory. Adjust quantities as you wish, but if you go too light on the lemon and pepper, you will lose the tangy bite that makes this recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1 (500 g) package frozen bratwursts (generally 5 in a package - 1 lb.) or (500 g) package Italian sausage (generally 5 in a package - 1 lb.)
- 6 -8 red potatoes, cut in half, then quartered (bite sized chunks)
- 2 cups carrots (baby or sliced)
- 1 dash oil or 1 dash cooking spray
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Put frozen sausages in a large frying pan (you'll need one with a lid). As directed on the package, add water as directed on the package, cover and simmer as directed (generally 10 minutes).
- Drain the water.
- Now brown the sausages over medium heat in a bit of oil or cooking spray. You have two choices: you can slice them first or after frying. Note: when I used the Johnsonville Brats I didn't need to brown them.
- Add the cut potatoes and carrots to the pan.
- Add the water, cover and simmer until the potatoes and carrots are cooked (10-15 minutes), stirring occasionally.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the lemon juice and pepper to the pan and stir. The lemon juice thickens and coats the food.
- Serve and enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
YUMMY! My family LOVED this (even the picky 2 year old!) - we didn't use much lemon but it was just enough to give it a good flavor! My husband was surprised that there weren't more seasonings in this. :) I originally chose this recipe to use up some potatoes and carrots I'd bought in bulk - they were great! Thanks for the fantastic and EASY recipe! I'm sure I'll make it again and again!1Reply