Rum Sugar Cookies
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 9mins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Rum Flavored Icing
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- Mix together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and butter until the mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Combine eggs, sugar, rum extract, almond extract, and nutmeg until well mixed.
- Pour the egg mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until well blended.
- Divide the dough into two equal halves. Refrigerate the dough for 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough out until it is 1/8 inch thick. Using a cookie cutter cut the dough into cookies (whatever shapes you please).
- Place the cookies on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes.
- When cookies have cooled frost generously with Rum Flavored Icing if using.
- Rum Flavored Icing:.
- Heat butter and milk over a low heat. When melted remove from heat.
- Stir sugar and rum extract into the butter and milk mixture. Use hot water to thin the icing to your desired consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<a href="http://bp-grafix.net/sitebuilder"target=new><img src="http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/glittergus/icons/i.gif" border=0></a> I am a proud mother of three healthy boys aged 15,11 and 5. I'm originally from the tiny island of Bermuda and have been living in Edinburgh since July 2005. I've been collecting recipes since I was about 14 or 15 and been cooking and baking since then as well. I love all kinds of crafts also. In my spare time if I'm not in the kitchen; I crochet, make jewelry, bead, knit, sew, cross stitch, do plastic canvas and quilt. I have a short attention span, so I have plenty of different craft choices when I get bored of doing something. Oh, and I also like to read, listen to music, fiddle with any electronic gadget, collect dvd's and watch them, and I'm an internetaholic! :-) I keep a craft blog at http://hobbyzu.blogspot.com and I sell my crocheted items and patterns at http://hobbyzu.com. I keep pretty busy and being self employed gives me more time to explore cooking! :-) I'm mostly interested in cook books featuring regular old home cooking and favorites. When I moved to the UK I had to get rid of my cookbook collection. I did keep all my Bermudian cookbooks, charity cookbooks and 'The Foods of Israel Today' and Better Homes and Gardens 'Hometown Favorites'. <a href="http://bp-grafix.net/sitebuilder"target=new><img src="http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i185/glittergus/icons/g5.gif" border=0></a> I am most passionate when it comes to my family and caring for them. Getting to feed them is an added bonus! Lucky for me, my boys are steadily growing pigs with bottomless pits for stomachs! lol :-) <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">