Granny's Sugar Cookies
I make sugar cookies for almost every holiday. A lot of fun and the kids can help.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter, softened (no substitutes)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- various food coloring
- colored sprinkles
- In a mixing bowl, cream together sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add eggs and vanilla; beat well.
- Stir together dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture until completely blended.
- Cover and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-inch thickness.
- Cut with various shaped cookie cutters dipped in flour.
- Transfer cookies to ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- Frosting: Mix together sugar, butter, vanilla and milk until desired degree of spreading consistency; add milk if you want thinner frosting.
- Add food coloring to obtain desired color.
- Spread frosting over cookies and decorate with sprinkles.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
These will be replacing my usual sugar cookie recipe! I let mine cool on the tray and it got really nice and crisp on the outside. Stayed that way with the icing. The icing was better tasting than royal but it isn't the texture for piping, only spreading! I made donut shapes since it lends itself perfectly for spreading icing.Reply
This is so good, they don’t have two much a a sugary taste but it still taste like a nice homey cookie. When it came out of the oven it they were nice and soft but after it cooled it got crunchy. The frosting is good but the vanilla is pretty strong. Overall these were really good cookies and I would definitely make again.Reply
see 267 more