Picture-Perfect Olive Oil Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
1 9 inch cake
- 3⁄4 cup honey
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- kosher salt
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
Coconut lemon curd
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 lemons, zest of, plus juice from 1-2 lemons
- kosher salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons grass-fed butter
Blueberry sauce and ricotta filling
- 2 cups fresh ricotta, whipped until very smooth in a blender
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup honey
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 9” springform pan with olive oil. Line with a round of parchment, grease parchment, and set aside.
- Whisk to combine flour, baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine eggs and honey. Whisk until lightened, about 3 minutes. Add oil and yogurt and mix until well-incorporated. Switch out whisk attachment for paddle and add flour mixture. Mix just until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary to create a smooth batter.
- Transfer to prepared pan and smooth top. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30-34 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool 5 minutes. Remove springform ring and let cake cool completely.
For the coconut lemon curd:
- Combine coconut cream, honey, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, whisking, until smooth and quite warm to the touch, about 2-3 minutes. Place egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisking continuously, gradually pour coconut cream mixture into yolks to temper. Return mixture to pot over medium heat and cook, whisking continuously and scraping the sides of the pot as necessary with a heatproof plastic spatula, until mixture bubbles and thickens. Let continue to cook at this stage for two minutes. Remove from heat and add butter, whisking until smooth. Transfer to a bowl.
- and place a piece of plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Place in refrigerator and let cool completely. (This can be done up to 2 days in advance.) Once cool, add lemon juice to taste and to thin to a spreadable consistency.
For the blueberry sauce and ricotta filling:
- In a small saucepan, combine blueberries, honey, and 1 tablespoon water. Place over medium-high heat and cook until blueberries burst and mixture becomes sauce-like, about 4 minutes. Let cool completely.
- To assemble cake, remove parchment round and split cake layer in half crosswise. Place bottom half on a serving platter. Top with half of the whipped ricotta, spreading to the edges of the cake. Spread with 1 cup coconut lemon curd, reserving remaining for serving. Place top half of cake on top and spread remaining ricotta to cover. Finish with blueberry sauce. Cut into wedges and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!