Mario Batali's Olive Oil and Orange Cake
Haven't tried this but looks yummy and most of his recipes are.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 6 medium oranges
- 1⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour (high gluten preferred, such as bread flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350°F and oil a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Remove zest from all oranges and juice from one. Set fruit aside for another use.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat eggs and salt together until frothy and light (about 2 minutes).
- Slowly add sugar while continuing to mix (about 2 more minutes).
- Sift the flour and baking soda together and gradually add to egg mixture. Mix about 1 more minute.
- In a side bowl, mix olive oil, citrus zest and juice. Using a spoon, stir this into the egg mixture, just folding until all inches.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven and bake 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Cool to room temperature, cut into wedges and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
The ingredients list 1 tablespoon baking powder. But directions say sift flour and baking soda. Which is it? I suspect it is baking soda because I did it with baking powder and my cake sank in the middle. This cake also has a very dense crumble. Also directions say juice from one orange. Really? Not all oranges are created equal. I used a 1/4 cup. That was probably about right. I do not like guessing amounts.1Reply
see 3 more