Mediterranean Olive Oil Cake
- Ready In:
- 1hr 35mins
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 cup orange blossom honey
- 3 tablespoons green cardamom pods, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup almond flour or 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 2⁄3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest or 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest, grated
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, sliced, blanched, toasted and cooled
- Make the syrup at least a day ahead. When ready, bring 3 cups water, sugar, honey, and cardamom to a boil in a medium heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer, and syrup is reduced to 3 1/4 cups, about 40 minutes. Strain syrup, removing cardamom pods and seeds.
- When ready to make the cake, first, preheat oven to 350F, then brush 9" diameter springform pan with oil.
- Have two medium bowls and one large bowl set aside. In the first medium bowl, whisk both flours and the baking powder, ground cardamom, salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- Using an electric mixer with the large bowl, beat 1/4 cup sugar and 1/2 cup oil for 1 minute. Beat in yolks, then add the flour mixture. Beat in yogurt, zest, and extracts.
- In the other medium bowl and using clean, dry beaters, beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar until firm peaks form. Fold egg whites into batter just to blend, in 2 portions. Transfer to prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Pierce hot cake all over with a thin metal skewer. Slowly drizzle 3/4 cup warm syrup all over. When syrup is absorbed, slowly pour 3/4 cup more syrup over. Reserve remaining syrup to use during serving.
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack. Run a thin knife around edge of pan to release cake. Remove pan sides. Sprinkle almonds over. Cut into wedges and serve drizzled with more syrup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!