Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
photo by Thesylviacenter
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa, any variety, sifted if lumpy
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 3⁄4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups water or 1 1/2 cups coffee
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar or 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3⁄4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup (for shine)
- two of flaky sea salt
- Make cake: Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line the bottom of 9-inch round cake pan with a fitted round of parchment paper and coat the bottoms and sides with nonstick cooking spray.
- Whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, salt and granulated sugar in the bottom of a large mixing bowl. Add brown sugar and olive oil, and whisk to combine. Add water and vinegar and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is springy and a tester inserted in the center comes out with just a few sticky crumbs (but not wet or loose batter).
- Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then cut around it with a knife to ensure it is loosened and flip it out onto a cooling rack to cool the rest of the way.
- Make glaze: Combine chocolate, cocoa powder, olive oil, corn syrup, and salt in a medium bowl and microwave to melt, in 15 to 30 second increments, stirring between each until just melted. Whisk until smooth. Pour over completely cooled cake and use spatula to gently nudge it down the sides.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!