Pecan Bread Pudding
photo by Chef Jean
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar (divided)
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 4 cups bread cubes (any kind of firm bread)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Grease an 8"x8" baking pan with 1 tablespoon of butter. In a large mixing bowl mixing bowl, beat the eggs and add the half and half, and 1 cup of the brown sugar. Stir in the salt and nutmeg. Add the bread cubes and 1/2 cup of the pecan, and allow to sit for 20-30 minutes until the bread is completely soaked with the custard.
- Pour into the baking pan, sprinkle with the remaining pecans and brown sugar. Dot the top with 3 tablespoons butter broken into small pieces.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 F oven for 30-40 mins, or until set and golden brown on top.
- This is great served warm with ice cream or a custard sauce. I like it cold for breakfast too!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I love this recipe. Used Splenda brown and a good quality whole wheat bread. I'm very happy with the result. It came out semi-firm, firm enough to cut into squares when cooled but not dry and really solid. The pecans are a great flavor addition and I like the texture that they add as well. I'm glad that I made the full recipe. :D