Old Fashioned Vanilla Wafers
These are just like the cookies we used to get in kindergarten with a glass of cold milk. Adapted from My Most Favorite Dessert Company.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 lb unsalted margarine, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated lemon, zest of
- 3⁄4 cup sifted cake flour
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream the margarine together with the sugar on low speed until fluffy.
- Beat in the egg and vanilla until incorporated.
- Stir in the zests.
- Still on low speed, beat in the flour until fully blended.
- By teaspoonfuls, drop the batter onto the baking sheets, leaving a good two inches between each cookie.
- Bake for about 7 minutes, or until the wafers are lightly browned along the edges.
- Transfer to a cooling rack where they will crisp as they cool.
- Store carefully in layers in an airtight container.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
These were very tasty. I didn't follow the tsp guideline and should have, less even. I got big cookies! I skipped the zest and added more vanilla and they were still good. I used Smartbalance blend instead of all butter with good results. Mine, however turned out much flatter than those in the picture by Marsha D., but flat is what they should be. I also followed the substitution for cake flour found elsewhere on this site. Thanks for posting this. I will make it again!