Nif's Vegetable Chili
photo by justcallmetoni
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
First set of ingredients
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, cut lengthwise and sliced into 1/4 slices
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, diced into 1/4 inch cubes
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced (fresh preferred but canned will do)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes with juice, diced
- 1 (28 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 cup corn (frozen preferred, canned will do)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh preferred
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- chile, crushed, to taste (optional)
- hot sauce (optional)
- Saute first ingredients in oil in a large saucepan for 5-10 minutes, until vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add other ingredients and simmer for approximately one hour. Stir occasionally.
- Serve with a crusty roll or freeze for future meals.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Not our typical chili but still great! I never added carrots to a chili but they are a wonderful addition. I skipped on the sweet potatoes cause only my daughter likes them. I added green pepper to the mix and used black beans since we seem to be out of kidney beans. After simmering for the full hour, most of the juices seemed to be gone, but no one here complained!
Chili is a favorite here both for it's ease in preparation as well as the flavor. This rendition was no exception, offering a great combination of flavors and textures. I made two smallish changes out of convenience and necessity. First, I tossed in a half a jalapeno finely diced with the first set of vegetables in lieu of the crushed pepper flakes (it needed a home) and after starting the dish realized I only had one can of kidney beans and used white beans as a substitution for the second. Initially I was concerned that the mix was a little on the dry side and contemplated adding more tomatoes or perhaps some tomato sauce, held off as the vegetables began to cook and release liquid which helped. I did end up adding about a cup of vegetable broth about 45 minutes into cooking and that worked well. The results are delicious. Thanks NIf. Made for the Went to the Market Game.
Wonderful chili! Since we're vegan, we didn't add the meat; my dad was a little sulky at first thinking it was just soup, but after he said he really enjoyed it!!Love the addition of sweet potato. I tossed in extra mushrooms because they needed to be used, and tons more garlic because.., well... self-explanatory. :-D I'll take some in a thermos for my school lunch. Thanks!