Navy Bean and Ham Soup
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 15mins
15 1 1/2 cup
- sort beans, rinse and add to stock pot.
- scrub carrots, cut off ends and chop into bite sized chunks, cut the onion into bite sized chunks, add to pot.
- peel potato and dice into very small pieces, add to pot.
- add 5 cups low sodium chicken broth, 7 cups water, bay leaf, ham bone, then simmer @ 3 hours.
- rub loose skin off of garlic cloves, place in a foil pouch, and roast 350 degree oven for @ 30 minutes until they carmelize. Let them cool until you can peel off the last layer of skin, add to 1 cup of bean soup liquid, and blend to a golden slurry and add back to soup. Remove ham bone and shredd meat, add back to soup. Simmer until beans are cooked to your preferred softness @ 30 - 45 more minutes.
- Please note if you dice the potato very fine it will disolve and make the soup thick and tasty.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I enjoy playing with my food and sharing cooking recipe's with family and friends for many years.. I have been an AFLAC Associate since 1985, which has allowed me to sample food nationwide.My wife is the everyday chef(she's very good), so I get to be creative chef. It's been 30 + happy years cooking in the kitchen together.