Ruth's White Bean and Ham Soup
Very close to my mom's ham and bean soup. *Update 2/5/08* My mom called and said she never used a bay leaf in her soup so if I'm going to keep her name on this recipe I need to remove the bay leaf :-) -- I always listen to my mom (well at least now!)
- Ready In:
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans great northern beans (rinsed & drained)
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked ham, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- Mash one can of beans and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, saute the carrots and onions in butter.
- Stir in the water, ham, seasonings and whole and mashed beans and cook over medium heat until heated through.