Mouth Watering Meatloaf!
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 2 finely chopped cooking onions
- 1 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme or 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- First soak bread crumbs in milk for about 15 minutes. Then combine all of the rest of the meatloaf ingredients. Press mixture into 9x11 cake pan. Mix last four ingredients together and spread over meatloaf mixture. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 1 hour. To serve cut into squares. Enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
My tummy's pretty happy right now (for a pregnant tummy, that's never a given), but I didn't find 2/3 c of breadcrumbs to be nearly enough, and next time I'd reduce the sugar in the topping by half. And probably double the seasoning in the loaf. (Of course, that might all be my pregnancy tastebuds--everything tastes a little strange right now.)
Yes it's a 5 star meatloaf in our place, because the kids got to make it, everyone ate it happily, and yes, there were no leftovers. Used packaged crumbs and garlic powder. It is a very flexible recipe. Would be great to throw in a cup of mixed veggies too. We doubled the sauce (will halve the sugar next time, as we'd prefer it tangy rather than sweet) and cooked it in a large cheesecake tin, lined with foil. Normally daughter picks around meat, but this she happily ate with KC Cooker's #109944 mashed potatoes which mopped the sauce and made it a great meal combo. Simple, good value. Happily make again.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am nearly 52 years old, I have been married for 20 years, have a wonderful husband, we both enjoy comfort foods. Foods that stay with you and fill the house with rich aromas. My hobbies are sewing, knitting and reading.