Mixed Green Salad With Oranges, Dried Cranberries and Pecans
photo by Tinkerbell
- Ready In:
- Bring 1 cup orange juice to simmer in heavy small saucepan. Remove from heat.
- Mix in dried cranberries.
- Let stand until softened, about 30 minutes. Drain well; discard soaking juice.
- Whisk oil, vinegar, orange peel and remaining 3 tablespoons orange juice in small bowl to blend. Mix in cranberries.
- Season dressing to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before serving.).
- Place greens in large bowl.
- Toss with 2/3 of dressing.
- Divide greens among 6 plates.
- Add orange segments to bowl; toss with remaining dressing.
- Top salads with orange segments and pecans.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Loved this salad! I love mixed greens, cranberries and pecans, but I don't usually put fresh oranges in the mix. I'm glad I finally tried it. The cranberries plumped up so nice and the balance of bitter greens, sweet cranberries and tangy oranges was very refreshing. Tonight wasn't a special occasion, but I'll definitely remember this recipe when the holidays do roll around again. I also think this would be an excellent summer weather salad. Thanks for posting, Bev! :)
Original review 18 Feb 2008:I know that everyone enjoyed this salad because there was nothing left in the salad bowl. Next time I would reduce the amount of orange juice (for soaking the cranberries) in half. I also used brown sugar and candied the pecans in a cast iron skillet. For more color, about 1/2 cup of red onion crescents were added to the salad. Thanks for posting. I will definitely make this again. PS> Update: I used the orange juice used for soaking the cranberries to make the vinaigrette.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I joined Food.com when the site was RecipeZaar, April 24, 2001. This site has been a favorite with me for many years now with its unique features and especially for the many, many dear friends I have met here. If you are a new visitor, I hope you will stop for a while and check us out. I hope you will find it as special as I have.