Mexican Chicken Pizza With Cornmeal Crust
I found this recipe on the Muir Glen website. I added the carmelized onions and it really brings out the taste of the fire roasted tomatoes. We loved it. I plan on making different pizzas with the cornmeal crust. A taco pizza would be great. A great way to use up leftover chicken.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil (can use butter)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup yellow cornmeal
- additional cornmeal
- 2 cups Mexican blend cheese
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained (Muir Glen Organic)
- 1⁄2 medium yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced (optional)
- sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil (or butter) in large skillet. Add onions and cook over medium low heat, stirring frequently until onions are golden brown and soft. Stir in 1/2 teaspoons sugar and cook 1-2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 450. In medium bowl, stir together 3/4 cup of the flour, the sugar, yeast and salt. Stir in warm water and oil. Beat with electric mixer on low 30 seconds. Beat on high about 1 minute. Stir in 1/3 cup cornmeal and remaining 3/4 cup flour to make a soft dough. On lightly floured surface, knead dough until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Spray large cookie sheet with cooking spray; sprinkle with additional cornmeal. Press dough into 14x10-inch rectangle on cookie sheet; prick with fork. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until edges just begin to brown. Spread the onions on crust, then sprinkle with 1 cup of the cheese. Top with chicken, tomatoes and bell pepper. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup cheese. Bake 6 to 8 minutes or until cheese is melted and edges are golden brown. Sprinkle with cilantro. Add green onion and a dollop of sour cream, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I had changed this recipe to suite my needs, but the end results were very good. I feel if I made it as follows it would have turned out the same. I made the crust in a bread machine on pizza cycle, removed & let it raise for about 1/2 hour on a oiled cookie sheet. I did carmalize the onions and yellow bells, then added pre-cooked chicken to heat. I baked the crust for about 10 minutes on 400Âº. I mixed refried beans with taco sauce to make it easy to spread for the main sauce. Then added the chicken-vegie mix, some mexican cheese mix & baked. I then added a bit of sour cream before serving. Yum! I don't like cilantro, so I left it out. I will be doing this again, may even follow the directions. Thanks for posting carolinajen4 !Reply