BBQ Chicken Pizza
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 1 prepared pizza crust (your own or purchased tube or crust)
- 10 ounces chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 cup gouda cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- One hour before baking the pizzas, start preheating the oven at 500 degrees Coat chicken with 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce.
- Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Prepare dough into pizza shape.
- Precook if needed.
- Spread remainder of barbecue sauce over the surface of the dough.
- Spread cheese over the sauce.
- Spread chicken over the cheese.
- Place the onion rings over the chicken pieces.
- Place the pizza in the oven (on top of pizza stone if available or on pan).
- Bake until crust is crispy and cheese is bubbling (8-10 minutes).
- Remove pizzas from the oven and sprinkle each with 1/2 of the cilantro.
Yummy! I made my BBQ chicken in the crockpot. I cooked 2 chicken breasts with 1/2 a bottle of barbecue sauce on low for 8 hrs, then shredded it with a fork. I used all mozzarella cheese instead of the mozzarella/gouda mix. I left out the cilantro (even though it sounds really good) because I didn't have any. I think the onions would have been better if I sauteed them in butter first to soften them, so I'll do that next time.
Delicious pizza topping! This is an unusual sounding combination, but this tasted wonderful as a pizza topping. I used a homemade piza crust and chose to follow the oven temp and baking instructions for the dough, but otherwise followed the steps to the letter. This disappeared very quickly - everyone wanted more. Thanks for sharing this winner!
Excellent pizza! I made two pizzas, one I followed this recipe using a smoked cherry bbq sauce and chili-lime gouda cheese. DH and I loved it! I made the second pizza a traditional pepperoni for my son. Well, I should have used this recipe for both, because even my picky son loved this pizza and thought his pepperoni pizza was just plain boring. I used recipe #70165 for the crust made with 1 cup of whole wheat flour. Thanks for sharing!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I live in Omaha NE and am an audiologist at Boys Town National Research Hospital. I love to cook, as does my husband Michael. In the summer, we have a large garden and try to use alot of fresh fruits/veggies in our cooking. We have a 5 year old daughter, Kate and almost 2 year old son Sam and enjoy introducing them to new foods. One of their favorites is fresh pesto smeared on crackers!