Lemon Squares with Cornmeal Crust
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 10mins
- Crust: Preheat oven to 350 F; butter and line the bottom of a 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- Combine flour, salt, cornmeal and icing sugar; cut in butter until the texture of coarse meal (dough will be crumbly).
- Press dough into pan and bake for 15-18 minutes, until it just begins to colour around the edges; allow to cool.
- Filling: Whisk together all ingredients for filling until smooth and pour over crust.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until set and a crust is visible on top of the squares.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 20 minutes, then chill for at least 2 hours.
- To Assemble: cut squares and serve, dusted with icing sugar.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made these yesterday and was very disappointed. The crust had an odd crunch from the little bits of cornmeal, not good. But the biggest problem was the topping. It was very thin and runny when I poured it over the cooled crust. After baking I discovered it had seeped under the parchment paper on the bottom, so there was a layer of filling underneath that I ended up scooping out after cutting the now, very thin squares. The lemon filling was very lumpy and an odd texture. Overall, this was not a great recipe. I would not recommend it.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
In the words of Tracy Byrd, "I'm from the country & I like it that way"!! On May 1, 2008 my husband and I started a new adventure. We'll be living in a 37 foot RV while our new home is under construction. Its out in the country on a dead end dirt road with lots of trees. For the next 4 months or so, most meals will be cooked on the BBQ and life will be full of challenges! We love spending quality time with our friends & family - especially the grandkids!! The photo is 4 generations - my 84 year old mother, myself, my daughter & my youngest granddaughter - taken at the end of 2006. I've participated in many contests & events here on Zaar but this is the first banner that I've posted. My thanks to Dreamgoddess for hosting the contest & SusieD for the banner design! <img src="http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f249/Dreamgoddess555/Narrow1-1.jpg">