Entry in RSC #9
- Ready In:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 small white onion (diced)
- 1 medium carrot (diced)
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can whole tomatoes with juice, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 1⁄2 ounces puff pastry (1 sheet)
- In a medium skillet, add 1 tsp olive oil, onions and carrots, saute for 2 minutes.
- Add ground beef; cook on medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes,juice,salt,pepper,sugar and cinnamon to beef mixture, stir, simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cut puff pastry sheet into six squares.
- Roll each square into 6 inch square.
- Spoon mixture into each square; fold and seal.
- Brush the other 1 tsp olive oil on the meat pies.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I really should have looked at the photos before making these. I had NO idea how to close up a puff pastry sheet having never worked with them. Sadly mine popped open a bit but were still EXCELLENT! I too had the problem of the mix making the pastry squishy and easy to tear. I think I'll try the other reviewer's idea of letting the mixture cool a little next time I do this recipe. I thought it needed more veggies so I cleaned out the fridge. I had about 1/4 cup of chopped potatoes, a couple tablespoons of chopped portabella mushrooms, and 1/4 cup chopped fresh green beans. YUM! It was a little on the sweet side (which I normally don't like) but tasted excellent. I still have about a cup of left over "mix" I think I will put it over rice tonight!Reply
see 13 more