Marshall Field's Meatloaf With Red Pepper Sauce
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 4 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 1⁄2 cups julienned fresh spinach leaves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, halved
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Finely crush croutons and combine with broth in small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs. Mix in pesto, pine nuts, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Add meat, spinach, cooked onion and crouton mixture. Mix well.
- Place mixture in bread pan and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Remove from pan and slice.
- Serve topped with sauce.
- Rub saucepan with garlic. Discard clove.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over low heat.
- Add flour and stir until blended. Stir in beef broth.
- Stirring constantly, cook sauce until it comes to boil. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove from heat, stir.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet.
- Add bell pepper and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Add to reserved brown sauce.
- Adjust seasonings as needed and heat through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!