Bistecca Alla Pizzaiola (Steak With the Pizzaiolo’s Wife’s Sauce
- Ready In:
- To prepare tomato sauce place about a tbsp of oil and a crushed clove of garlic in a medium size pot.
- Let garlic turn slightly golden but remove from pot before it becomes too brown.
- Add tomatoes with their liquid and simmer until there is little to no more liquid on top of the sauce.
- Set aside.
- Season steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat remaining oil in a large skillet (it should be able to hold both steaks without overcrowding) over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add garlic and saute for 1 minute then add steaks.
- Quickly brown 1 minute on both sides then transfer to a plate.
- Add the red pepper flakes and oregano to the pan the steaks were cooked in, then add the wine and cook stirring until the liquid is slightly reduced.
- Add tomato sauce, stir then return steak to pan.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook 6-8 minutes turning once (or to your desired doneness).
- Put steak on a serving dish and pour sauce over top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We thoroughly enjoyed this recipe! The gravy was both quick and tasty. My Italian grandfather would be proud. We made two amendments. 1) We used petite sirloins, rather than T-Bones, as we tend to save the t-bones for the grill and special occasions. 2) We used red wine, instead of white, because it was open. I don't think the recipe suffered for it. The recipe comes together quickly, and is sutiable for a busy weeknight. Thanks for posting!