Maggie's ReiShabu Chilled Pork Shabu Shabu Salad
photo by Maggie
- Ready In:
- 250 g thinly sliced pork loin or 1/2 lb pork loin
- 1⁄4 head lettuce, thinly shredded
- 1⁄2 medium onion, sliced into rings and halved soaked in ice water 30 mins to make them less overpowering
- 1 -2 bunch mizuna, chopped
- 1 (70 g) package radish sprouts (kaiware, but you can use broccoli sprouts)
- 1 japanese cucumbers, cut into matchsticks or 1/2 regular cucumber
- 5 -10 shiso leaves, thinly sliced (optional but so refreshing!)
Sauce (may want to double)
- 3 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons blended miso
- 1 tablespoon japanese mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 garlic clove
- Starting with the onions (and then soaking in ice water while working on the others), carefully cut and prepare the salad ingredients and mix together in a bowl.
- Bring a pot of water to a gentle boil and add the meat slices until cooked (it happens fast if they are thin) and then put them in a bowl of ice water and drain.
- In individual bowls, arrange the salad and place a few slices of cold boiled pork on top.
- Top with sesame dressing, sesame sauce or ponzu sauce made for shabu shabu, or try the delicious homemade sauce in this recipe (just mix the sauce ingredients together, and there you have it!).
- Serve with rice and miso soup as the main dish or with other dishes as a side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!