Light Pot Roast
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
- 2 lbs beef round rump roast or 2 lbs chuck arm pot roast
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 small carrots, cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 stalk celery, cut into diagonal 1 inch chunks
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Trim fat from roast.
- Spray a dutch oven with cooking spray and preheat to medium.
- Brown roast on all sides.
- Drain fat.
- In a small bowl mix the 1/2 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon granules, and basil.
- Pour over the meat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, carrots, celery, and onion to the dutch oven.
- Cover and simmer for another 45 to 60 minutes or until meat and vegetables are tender.
- Add more water if needed.
- Remove meat and vegetables to a platter and keep warm.
- Pour the pan juices into a metal bowl and place the metal bowl in ice water to solidify the fat.
- Skim off the fat.
- You need 1 cup of pan juices, so add water if necessary to make the full cup.
- Whisk together the 1/4 cup water and flour until smooth.
- Stir in the pan juices and return to the dutch oven.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly.
- Cook another minute and serve the gravy with the meat and veggies.
Join The Conversation
This was a wonderful pot roast. I put the frozen beef roast into my crock pot with the vegetables, seasons and liquid, covered and let cook slowly all day. What a treat this was. It tasted amazing, an excellent comfort meal. The vegetables were perfectly cooked and the beef was moist, tender and tangy. Thanks for sharing :)