John Wayne Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 eggs, separated
- 20 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 4 cups monterey jack cheese
- 4 cups mild cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small red pepper
- 1 small green pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 anaheim chili
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- olive oil, extra virgin
- 1 tomatoes, thinly sliced for topping
- ham, diced (optional) or Canadian bacon, cooked (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Chop the onion and peppers, then saute lightly in the olive oil.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, separate the egg yolks from the whites, leaving the yolks in the bowl.
- Add milk, flour, garlic, and black pepper to the yolks, then mix well.
- Add sour cream, the cheeses, and vegetables to the egg mixture.
- In another mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff.
- Fold the beaten whites into the mixture in the other bowl and blend together.
- Grease a baking dish with butter.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish and place in the hot oven.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes , turning the dish occasionally, until the top starts to crack.
- Three quarters of the way through baking, top with the tomato slices.
- Serve with apple cinnamon tortillas lathered with honey butter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Mother of 4, grandmother of 3.... <br /> <br />One of my favorite authors is Kipling, he had a way with words... <br />...when the moon gets up and night comes, he is the Cat that walks by himself, and all places are alike to him.... <br />Rudyard Kipling</p>