John Wayne Casserole
This one was different than the others I saw on here so thought I'd add it. I'd seen it on facebook. The individual who posted stated it was from a Mississippi Magazine
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs ground beef, cooked and drained
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) packet taco seasoning
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 4 ounces mayonnaise or 4 ounces light sour cream
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cups biscuit mix (I would find something else for this to many carbs!!!! )
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced jalapeno peppers
- Heat oven to 325. Brown ground beef and add taco seasoning and water, according to packet instructions; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, 4 ounces of cheddar cheese, and half of the onions; set aside.
- Stir biscuit mix and water (directions on box) to form soft dough. Pat dough on the bottom and one-half-inch up the sides of an 9 x 13 inches greased casserole dish.
- Saute remaining onions and bell peppers until slightly tender.
- On top of biscuit mix, evenly distribute ingredients in the following order: ground beef, tomato slices, green peppers, onions, jalapeno peppers, sour cream mixture and end with remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until edges of dough are lightly browned.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
the first time I made this I followed the recipe. it was fabulous and everyone from my dad to my 2 year old grandson loved it. i just put another one in the oven and this one i did tweak the recipe but only in the respect of using some of the things i wanted to get rid of from the fridge. last night i made tacos and chicken black bean quesadillas. i had some left over black beans so i sprinkled them on top of the tomato layer. i didn't have (nor do i care for) green peppers so i used orange/red/yellow mini peppers. i had half a fresh jalapeno left over from making salsa so i minced just a little and cooked that with the peppers and onions. i used just a bit because of the kids. lastly, i mixed the mayo, sour cream, green onions (about three chopped well) and the cheese altogether and spread that on the top. i did think about putting some black olives on top but decided not this time. the reason i put the last four ingredients together is that my dad mentioned the first time that it was too thick of a layer so i thought mixing it will make it a bit better for him. anything for dad! looking forward to trying it out but i am sure that it will be delish as the basic recipe was not changed with the addition of the black beans.