Indonesian Rice Salad with Fresh Dates
- Ready In:
- 3 cups brown rice, cooked and cooled
- 1⁄2 cup fresh dates, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup toasted sesame seeds
- 1 red peppers or 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon dark sesame oil
- 3 -4 tablespoons sherry wine or 3 -4 tablespoons brandy
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- salt and black pepper
- Mix all the salad ingredients a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together and pour over the salad.
- Toss the salad and serve on lettuce leaves.
- You may serve with hoisin sauce or chutney on the side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Very nice salad, this one is & I particularly liked the combo of dates & toasted sesame seeds! I didn't, however, include the liquor in the dressing, & still found the entire dish very flavorful! Certainly this is a recipe I'd like to make again, perhaps for company! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC tag]
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi everyone! I'm addicted to recipezaar - there are so many things that I love about this site; the wonderful people, recipes, lots of great pictures and there's always someone who'll answer my cooking/baking/general question. I grew up in Malaysia, but now live in sunny Singapore. Both are beautiful tropical (read: HOT!) countries in Southeast Asia. There are so many good food here, especially ethnic stuff like spicy Malaysian curries (which will clear the worst blocked nose), flaky & crispy Indian roti paratha/canai, homey Chinese stir-fries, rich & decadent Asian desserts like kuih lapis (Malay many-layers cake), pineapple tarts, crumbly peanut cookies etc. <img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v632/zaarfreak/REI/12may05REI2_S.jpg" alt="Image hosted by Photobucket.com">