Grilled Veggie, Cheese & Bacon Frittata
photo by Chicagoland Chef du Jour
- Ready In:
- 1 medium zucchini, peeled, sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄2 large sweet bell pepper, cut into long medium width strips, yellow, orange, red peppers are best
- 3 -6 scallions, cleaned and trimmed, left whole for grilling
- 6 -8 cremini mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 dash sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄2 cup Fontina cheese, shredded, substitute sharp cheddar
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, cooked until crispy, diced
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Generously spray (glass) pie plate with nonstick cooking spray.
- Prepare veggies as suggested, rinse and pat dry.
- Rub with olive oil and top with a light dusting of salt.
- Preheat grill pan over medium heat.
- Arrange vegetables on grill pan. Grill until grill marks appear. Turn over an repeat until tender. Mushrooms may take longer to get a dark brown caramelized appearance. Do not over cook. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Cut into bite size 1" pieces and arrange on the bottom of a pie plate.
- Sprinkle with cheeses and bacon.
- Mix together eggs, half and half and Dijon mustard until well blended. Pour over veggie & cheese mixture.
- Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes until center does not jiggle. The frittata should puff up as it bakes. *Use a knife to check the center for doneness. This may not work very well because the cheese will come up on the knife edge but the center should be firm.
- Slice and enjoy! Serve with a green salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi there! Originally CHICAGOLAND CHEF DU JOUR, I like to think of myself as a fantastic home cook with a flair for the gourmet. I have gotten & shared many recipes since I became a member in 2007. Although I have not been active in a few years, I still return to look for recipes from some of my fave chefs. Thanks to all you have helped me over the years and thanks a bunch to any and all reviews.