Golden Fried Cornbread
photo by Chef shapeweaver
- Ready In:
9-12 cornbread patties
- In a large bowl,combine all ingredients, mixing well.
- In a large cast iron skillet ( can use an ordinary skillet ), heat 1/2 cup shortening over medium heat until hot but not smoking.
- When oil is hot, add batter 1/3 cup at a time,( if batter seems too thick add about 1/4 cup of water ) spread batter until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Fry until batter starts to bubble and edges look slightly dry,lift edge a bit to see if golden ( about 4 minutes ).
- If it is,turn and brown other side.
- After removing from skillet,butter and keep warm.
- Repeat from Step 3 with remaining batter.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Wow - these are so good. I screwed up and added 1/2 cup shortening to the mix instead of 1/4 cup (I'm bad about not reading the recipe all the way through before I start), but they were still super good. Next time though I will cut back to the 1/4 cup. I also used buttermilk, just cause I love buttermilk in biscuits and pancakes, etc. I also had a little trouble cooking the first few but finally got the hang of it and they turned out perfectly.<br/><br/>Thanks so much Chef shapeweaver for posting. I will definitely be making again and again.