Fried Cornbread With Corn and Chiles
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups milk, buttermilk if you are feeling decadent
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 4 cups frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper, coarsely chopped (feel free to use the jarred variety)
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies, chopped and drained
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a bowl.
- Stir in eggs, milk, and butter. Batter will be thin!
- Stir in corn, roasted peppers, and chiles.
- Pour 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto a hot, lightly greased skillet. Cook until tops are covered in bubbles (like a pancake) and edges look cooked. Turn and cook other side.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I loved these fried cornbread pancakes. So very yummy. Quick and easy to make with amazing results. I made half a batch, boy does it make a lot. They do freeze well. I just popped them into the toaster still frozen and voila the perfect treat. I served them with real maple syrup and candied bacon for the best lunch. The savory corn and chilies work beautifully with the sweet syrup. Thanks so much for sharing this lovely recipe, that I will be enjoying often. Made fyc tag game.
see 4 more reviews