Fried Cornbread (Southern Style)
A SOUTHERN bread for sure! Goes well with any boiled leafy greens, cabbage, lima beans, black-eyed peas, fried fish or pork chops. Just can't beat it!!! Just like Grandma use to make!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil (for frying)
- Mix first two ingredients to make a batter --- add more or less water depending on how thick or thin you want your cornbread patties. The best way would be to mix in small amounts of water at a time to get the consistency you want.
- In a skillet or frying pan bring oil up to medium heat and test 1/2 teaspoon drop of batter, You do not want it to fry too fast. I normally cook mine on #6 and then furn down to #5 on my stove. Drop by tablespoons full and pat out with back of spoon to make a pattie. Turn over when bottom is light brown.
- Serve and enjoy this tasty bread!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Not bad, simple. I just wanted to add that i use fat to fry rather than oil. thats what ive always known people to use round my neck of the woods. Save bacon grease, ham grease, usually keep it in a jar or coffee can. sometimes ill mix them, little oil, little fat. it adds flavor to an otherwise pretty bland side. i'll also throw in some seasoning like Old Bay to give it a little flavor. This works well to if you want something simple to bread and fry your fish in.1Reply
see 10 more