photo by michelles3boys
- Ready In:
- Mix cornmeal and salt together in large mixing bowl.
- Pour approximately 2 cups boiling water over dry ingredients.
- Mix well.
- After the mixture cools slightly, shape mixture into balls about the size of golfballs, one at a time. You must wet your hands with water before you make each ball.
- Flatten the ball with your fingers.
- Fry in skillet (preferably cast iron) with about 1/2 inch of hot oil.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Boy does this bring back memories! When I was growing up, my Mom would make fried cornbread to go with fish. I decided to try my hand at making it and it was soooo good!! I like mine to have a nice salty flavor. You need to have your oil fairly hot (at least on medium), so it sizzles when you add the batter. I didn't shape mine into balls and flatten, I just spooned mine into the oil and then flattened with the back of the spoon. That's how my Mom did it. Thanks for the recipe, it brought back good memories of home!