Ginger Syrup With Variations
- Ready In:
Ginger Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups granulated sugar (can sub Splenda)
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup peeled and thinly sliced ginger (or more for stronger flavor)
Optional Addition 1
- 2 tablespoons cloves plus 1 cinnamon sticks
Optional Addition 2
- 1 split vanilla bean
Optional Addition 3
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons whole black peppercorns
Optional Addition 4
- 1 bunch mint
- Bring water, sugar, ginger and optional ingredients 1, 2 or 3, if using, to a boil in a 2-quart non-reactive saucepan, then stir until sugar is dissolved. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes. Pour ginger syrup through a sieve into a bowl, discarding ginger. Chill.
- For Ginger-Mint (Option 4): Bring water, sugar and mint to a boil in a 2-quart non-reactive saucepan, then stir until sugar is dissolved. Simmer about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove from heat and let steep 30 minutes. Pour ginger syrup through a sieve into a bowl, discarding ginger and mint. Chill.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!