Fruit and Vegetable Curry
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The influences of colonial powers and immigrants from Malaysia and the Indies can be tasted in this curry from Southern Africa. This is a Moosewood recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 4 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground fennel
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup cut green beans
- 2 firm tart green pears or 2 apples, cored and cubed
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chopped dried apricot
- 1⁄2 cup currants or 1/2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup apricot preserves
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- garam masala (optional)
- 6 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup raw peanuts or 1 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 bananas
- Saute the onions in the peanut oil for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, ginger root, and spices and continue to saute, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.
- Add the zucchini and water and stire well so that the spices won't stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix in the green beans, pears, red bell peppers, and dried apricots.
- Simmer gently, covered, for about 30 minutes.
- Stir occasionally and add a little more water if needed to prevent sticking.
- When the fruit and vegetables are quite tender, stir in the currants and the apricot preserves.
- Taste the curry and adjust the flavor to your liking. Add cayenne or Garam Masala if it's not spicy enough, lemon juice if you'd like more tartness, or more apicot preserves to intensify the sweetness.
- Keep the curry warm on a heat diffuser, to prevent scorching, until ready to serve.
- Serve on a bed of rice, topped with peanuts and sliced bananas.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation