French Courgette (Zucchini) Quiche
photo by kitty.rock
- Ready In:
- 1 pie shell
- 2 1⁄2 cups coarsely grated unpeeled zucchini, 4-6
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half (light cream)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Place zucchini on a piece of foil and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 30 minute.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and fry in a heavy skillet until crisp. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 400°F
- In the same pan using either the remaining drippings OR the butter mentioned in the ingredient list, saute the onions for 5-10 min until tender and golden.
- Squeeze the zucchini dry and add to the onion in the pan, along with the flour.Heat 1 minute.
- Spread half of the cheese and the bacon over the bottom of the pie shell.
- Lightly beat the eggs with a wire whisk. Add the half and half and pepper. Stir well and add zucchini mixture.
- Place pie shell on a cookie sheet.
- Carefully pour custard mixture into pie shell.
- Sprinkle with the rest of the cheese and bacon.
- Bake on center shelf for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350F and continue baking 20-25 minutes more, or until the top is puffed and brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and slide carefully onto wire rack to cool 5-10 minute to let set. Serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really good - attested to by DH who ate 1/2 of the quiche by himself LOL. I actually made 2 quiches out of this recipe as my pie crusts were small - I filled one and still had a little less than 1/2 of the custard left, so I decided to divvy it up between 2 pie shells since I had them. This baked up beautifully - nice and golden on top and very moist on the inside. I did substitute about 2 tablespoons of Hormel Peppered Crumbled Bacon because I was pressed for time and didn't want to cook bacon, and I doubled the onion (personal preference), but followed the rest of the recipe as written. Really nice recipe, and I got double for my trouble !! Thanks for posting - made for ZWT8 - France, and the Herbaceous Curvaceous Honeys.